My Slideshow

Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Inspirations

Many people have asked me, “Jason, what are your influences in writing?” Of course, that is a lie. NO ONE has ever asked me that. I am not famous enough yet. But still, let us assume that I have commanded enough fame and fortune for the curious fan or two to ask me, “Jason, what are your influences in writing?”

Well, firstly I have to say that when I write something, it’s usually with a sense of humour. I am relatively new at writing funny stuff, and I think I have yet to find my comedic voice, as that takes time and practice, but a lot of it is based on humourous writers, stand-up comedians and sitcoms.

One of my all time favourites is Dave Barry. I have read almost all his columns online and read two of his books. He is a tremendously funny guy. His observational skill is top notch and he has won a few Pulitzer Prizes for journalism. He makes fun of everything, from toilet bowls to politicians. I would love to show you how funny he is by analyzing his work, but its best if you just go to his website.

Stand-up comedians are another source of inspiration. They made me realize that the funniest jokes come from the best truths, and vice versa. Good comedians are the ones that make you go, “Hey yeah, how come I never saw it that way?” the moment they deliver the punch line. Again, it’s all about observation, how they critique the trivialities of human life, how they satirize our nuances, how they try to rationalize the inexplicable. My favourites? In no particular order: Ricky Gervais, Russell Peters, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Dara O’Brian and many more.

My goal is to one day reach the pinnacles of my idols’ success. Or get rich trying. Every dream has to start somewhere right? I mean, to make people laugh and get paid for it, I think that’s my ultimate dream. Don’t get me wrong, I am proud to be a Medical Student. I have worked hard to be a good medical student. But I sometimes wonder, if I had put in all the effort and time and resources into pursuing a career in comedy, where would I be now?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

bro!!so darn bloody proud of you!great job..I'm yet to get the book..been very busy with my projects..shall get it soon..anyway-we should have a BB reunion..and 1 idea for your future books--u should consider writing abt our school lives...i Think it will be hillarious..hahaha..anyway, love to meet up with you soon!!!

Jason Leong said...

Haha thank you for feeling proud of me.I always told you that when the going gets tough,I think of Dominic's work ethic,and I get right back on doing what I was supposed to do.Dom,you are indeed the most hardworking person I ever met.I always wondered,if you DID get into Med School,just how many subject prizes you would win?

JC said...

MAHAI now only the blog come out

proud of you
from the book jackets, look damn good weh.

will buy it

MAHAI

Life in UCD

As the book I wrote is about my first year in University College Dublin,Ireland, perhaps it is fitting also that I introduce to you a video of what life was like in Dublin. Everytime I watch this, I am reminded of why I always say the years in Dublin were the best ones of my life