My Slideshow

Friday, June 13, 2008

Perspective

I believe that no matter how advanced or civilised we have become, we are still very biased in our perceptions, especially when it comes to the more superficial aspects of our lives. Consider for example, how our attitudes differ when it comes to ugly and pretty people.

I will compare two extremes of looks today. When I say ‘ugly’, I really mean downright dodgy, unkempt hair, pimples sprouting all over the place, fungus growing out of nostrils, zig-zag eyes, unshapely body, the whole works.

And when I say ‘good looking’, I mean, really really good-looking, like what you would get if Halle Berry , Nicole Kidman, Hayden Christensen and Aragorn ( the character, not the actor) all somehow got together and created one awesome looking baby, and then grew up to be the age of 21, working out in the gym daily, the whole works.

Now let’s start comparing.

Girls' Perspective

Situation : Good looking guy opens the door for the ladies, flashing them a smile

Girls’ reaction : Oh my gawd he is so gentlemanly! So sweet and kind! Ooh, isn’t he lovely?

Situation : Ugly guy opens the door for the ladies, flashing them a smile

Girls’ reaction : Ugh, whatever, what is he trying to prove? Eew, why is he staring at me like that? I think he wants to rape me.

Situation : Good looking guy walks by the girls with upright posture, long strides, and determined look on his face

Girls’ reaction : Whoa….did you see him? He is so confident in the way he carries himself!

Situation : Ugly guy walks by the girls with upright posture, long strides and determined look on his face

Girls’ reaction : Gawd, what an arrogant jerk! Didn’t even bother to smile or look at us.

Situation : Good looking guy wears some funky neon purple shirt with neon green tie, orange slacks and pink platform shoes

Girls’ reaction : Wow, he is so brave trying to make a fashion statement! Such creativity!

Situation : Ugly guy wears some funky neon purple shirt with neon green tie, orange slacks and pink platform shoes.

Girls’ reaction : Oh dear me, I think he is trying too hard for attention.



Guys’ Perspective


Situation : Good looking girl actively engages the guys in conversation, asking about them, laughing at their jokes, and making good eye contact.

Guys’ reaction : Fooyio, she is so friendly! She is so gorgeous but she has no airs at all!

Situation : Ugly girl actively engages the guys in conversation, asking about them, laughing at their jokes, and making good eye contact

Guys’ reaction : Eeyer, she is a bit desperate isn’t she? I mean, there’s friendly and then there’s trying too hard.

Situation : Good looking girl is crying buckets of tears, obviously distraught.

Guys’ reaction : Oh no, she is so hurt! What has befallen this angel to cause her such distress?Aiyoh, my heart aches for her!

Situation : Ugly girl is crying buckets of tears, obviously distraught

Guys’ reaction : My gawd, what a drama queen. Very problematic wan lah she.

Situation : Good looking girl refuses to give you her phone number till she gets to know you better.

Guys’ reaction : Hey hey, this girl is trying to play games with me eh? Very well, let’s see if all my moves and charm will work on her.

Situation : Ugly girl refuses to give you her phone number till she gets to know you better.

Guys’ reaction : Hmph, so unfriendly.

Thus ends our lesson for today.

No comments:

Life in UCD

As the book I wrote is about my first year in University College Dublin,Ireland, perhaps it is fitting also that I introduce to you a video of what life was like in Dublin. Everytime I watch this, I am reminded of why I always say the years in Dublin were the best ones of my life